We’re nearly through the first month of 2019 and we’re still seeing that Password Management is a big issue for businesses this year.
The amount of passwords we are using both as individuals and businesses continues to grow and our password lists will only get longer as we utilise all the sophisticated technology available to us.
This also means that the hackers, scammers and phishers have an insatiable appetite and are hungrier than ever to access your personal information and accounts.
The need for good password management has never been greater, so we’ve put together a few top tips to help you and your business to stay secure…
Best Practices For Password Management
- Use a good trusted password management platform
- Vary your passwords so that no two sites passwords are the same
- Segregate the use of email addresses so that you only use work email addresses in work related logins and use a different personal address for personal logins
- Use complex passwords wherever possible combining capitals and lower case not necessarily grammatically correct interspaced with numerical and punctuation characters
- Don’t share passwords outside of a controlled password management platform
- Have a password policy and enforce it
- Make sure passwords are set to expire periodically and I don’t mean once every 5 years
- Delete user accounts that are no longer used as their passwords may become a weak point of access
If you would like to have a chat about password management in your business then feel free to contact us